Saturday, December 06, 2008

Multidirectional Scarf & Hat

After making several Multidirectional Diagonal Scarves, http://douma.net/Karen/knitting/Accessory-Scarves/Multidirectional_Diagonal_Scarf.htm I decided to create a hat to match. I wanted the hat to have the same look & feel of the scarf, with garter stitch triangles alternating directions. Since I had conveniently purchased enough of the beautiful Ironstone yarn for both a scarf AND a hat, only the challenge stood between me & a matching set...

For the hat, I knit two shorter, wider scarves and simply sewed them together! I used a smaller needle size for a smaller, tighter knit and increased the first triangle until it's side was half the height that I wanted my hat to be (allowing for a fold-up brim). I knit the length of the two hat "scarves" until they fit snugly around my forehead.

To finish the hat, lay the two scarves side-by-side, sew up the long sides with an overhand stitch. Then make a tube by sewing up the ends with the same overhand stitch. Finally, gather every other stitch around the perimeter of one end of the tube and pull closed tightly to close up the top of the hat.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home